From false eyelashes to strategic makeup application, there are several ways that you can enhance your eyes to make them look bigger and brighter. In this article, we share our top six to help you accentuate your natural look.
1. False Lashes
False eyelashes can help to enhance the eyes and make them look bigger.
The first step is to determine your eye shape as the wrong falsies can make your eyes look smaller.
You should also consider if you’ll be wearing glasses, as you might need to opt for a shorter, less dense lash, to avoid contact with the lenses.
Read our full guide on What False Eyelashes Are Best for My Eye Shape? for more recommendations on the right eyelashes for you.
- Start by putting on the rest of your makeup. If you apply a dark eyeliner to your upper lash line, this can help the band of the false eyelashes blend in better.
- Apply your eyelash adhesive to the band, and wait around 20-30 seconds before moving to the next step.
- Using tweezers, put the lashes in place and press them into the lash line. If you apply the lash band so it sits a little higher than the inner portion of your eye, this can give you an additional lift.
- You can also use an eyelash curler to add extra volume to your false eyelashes. Try to get curler as close to the root of your lashes as you can, and give it a few gentle squeezes.
2. Raise Your Eyebrows
Maximise the space between your eye and eyebrow to create the illusion of bigger looking eyes, while still shaping to the natural shape of your brow line. Avoid over-plucking, as this can ruin the shape and quality of your brows, and it can take a while to grow back — the hair growth cycle for eyebrows is between three and four months. When in doubt, go to an expert who can shape your eyebrows to enhance your eyes, while maintaining their original shape.
3. Brighten Your Waterline & Brow Bone
Lining your lower waterline with a white, beige or pale-coloured eyeliner can give the illusion of a bigger eye. Pair this with a highlight on your brow bone to lift your brow, and on the very centre of your eyelid to make your eyes pop. A shimmery light eyeshadow in the inner corner of your eye can also help to enhance the eye.
4. Be Careful with Eyeliner
Using eyeliner can provide some additional lift, but you have to be careful with where and how you apply it. A dark and heavy line on the upper eyelid can make your eyes look smaller, so opt for a very thin line with a winged flick.
5. Reduce Puffiness
Swelling (or puffiness) on and around your eyes can make them look smaller. To reduce puffiness around your eyes, you can:
- Apply a cool compress using light pressure, such as a wet cloth, an ice pack, or refrigerated teaspoons.
- Cut down on your salt intake to reduce fluid retention around the eyes.
- Use a gua sha to massage the and de-puff the eye area.
- Get plenty of sleep. Most adults need 7 to 9 hours of sleep a night.
- Exercise more to reduce lymph build-up, which can cause eye bags.
6. Conceal Dark Circles
Adding concealer to your under-eye area can help to cover dark circles, which can otherwise distract from your eyes. You should choose a concealer that is lighter than your foundation. Keep in mind that a concealer with green and purple correctors can also help to brighten and balance dark circles.
And there you have it - our tip six tips for enhancing your eyes. For more top tips, check out our blog page, or browse our full range of luxury cruelty-free lashes, ranging from natural to bold, and everything in between!
Eni Lashes is a luxury vegan false eyelashes and makeup brand with a focus on enhancing eyelashes and empowering people. We sell only cruelty-free and vegan products — because you don't have to be cruel to be kind.